Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Poland: Kraków & Auschwitz-Birkenau

The final stop with the girls was Poland. Krawków soon was added to my list of favorite places. Poland surprised me in so many ways- all positive. It is the most Eastern city I have visited and also the cheapest (score!!). Seeing Auschwitz-Birkenau had me relive history and taught me even more about the concentration camps, after years of reading and learning about the Holocaust. The highlights of this trip were definitely the Polish food, new Australian friends, and watching a Eurocup game in the fan zone since Poland and Ukraine were hosting the Eurocup games. 

Krawków was such a pretty city. Favorites included:  
  • The central square with a leaning clock tower, Basilica, outdoor market, and tons of outdoor restaurants and bars. 
  • Buying amber rings 
  • Seeing the whole city at the top of the Basilica
  • Visiting the castle
  • Walking through the Jewish Quarter and seeing the only active synagogue in Kraków
  • Going more than once to eat at our favorite Polish restaurant Babila Malikas 
  • Eating perogies and drinking Polish beer
  • Partying with our Aussie friends and going to cool bars
  • Receiving gifts from the Aussies (including a cute mini kangaroo)
The Castle
The Castle
Jewish Synagogue 
Jewish Synagogue 
Eurocup 2012 
Central Square 
Feast at Baba Malikas 
Outdoor market by night 
View from the top of the Basilica
Aussies & us

My experience at Auschwitz-Birkenau is hard to write in words. To say the least, it was very impactive. I had goosebumps the whole time I was there, knowing just decades before others were murdered on the same grounds. We had a really great tour guide throughout the camps, first at Auschwitz and then at Birkenau. Birkenau is much bigger and what I had imagined a concentration camp to look like from the Holocaust movies. I think everyone who has the opportunity should go and see it for themselves. It was a crazy experience but one of the best things I have ever seen. I learned a lot from the tours and got to enter into the gas chambers, torture rooms, and see the hanging wall.

Entrance to Auschwitz
Auschwitz
Auschwitz
Auschwitz
Gas chamber at Auschwitz
Auschwitz
  Birkenau                                 
Birkenau
Birkenau
Birkenau
Birkenau 
Birkenau gas chamber remains 
Birkenau


No comments:

Post a Comment